Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Primes in Pi


Recently, I've been concerned with the fact that I don't know many large primes.  Why?  I don't know.  This has led to a search for easy to remember prime numbers.  I've found a few goods ones, namely


But then I remembered that I already know 50 digits of pi, memorized one boring day in grade school, so this got me wondering whether there were any primes among the digits of pi

Lo an behold, I wrote a little script, and found a few:

Found one, with 1 digits, is: 3 Found one, with 2 digits, is: 31 Found one, with 6 digits, is: 314159 Found a rounded one with 12 digits, is: 314159265359 Found one, with 38 digits, is: 31415926535897932384626433832795028841


I think it's usual for most science geeks to know pi to at least 3.14159, if you're one of those people, now you know a 6 digit prime! for free!

5 comments:

  1. Did you say that the picture in the top left has the digit 1 - 1,030 times? Because I believe it is not even half of that. It is closer to 419.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True dat. I'm embarrassed. Modified text to be less embarrassing. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. And he would have gotten away with it, too ...

      Delete
  2. This is excellent article, thank you for the share! This is what I am looking for, hope in future you will continue sharing such an superb work.
    John Dutton Jacket Season 4



    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic and quite useful article for me. Thank you so much for all of your hard work in giving such excellent information! search engine optimization services in usa

    ReplyDelete